Monday, January 16, 2012

Wake up Call


Worst feeling in the world to wake up to someone gently poking your feet then the news that your brother is in the Hospital because of a car accident...

It has happened too much in my lifetime.

Having two younger brothers who lack the sensitivity and fear chip in their brains, its tough being the only girl and eldest at that. They seem to always keep us on our toes.

I’m blogging about it now because writing seems to give me peace and clarity. And I definitely need it now. I wake up this morning to see my brother’s pickup smashed. The first thing I ask the maid was – “Is he still alive?"

This has happened so many times in the past 3 years – I’ve run out of patience, worry and prayers… Well, actually, I think that’s the only thing keeping him alive are the Prayers from both my mom and I.

Last New Years, he comes home from Zambales with a freaking dislocated shoulder in a cast. He shows up for the family New Year’s Eve dinner that way, saying that he got into an accident on a motorcycle. Only to find out it was from cap sizing an ATV – who capsizes an ATV???! That was Dec 31. He says that THAT was his bloody wake up call and that he’ll be more careful from now on. Barely 2 weeks after… BAM! Bloody forehead, messed up car and what hurts the most – a broken promise.

Being the eldest, these 2 boys are my life. It is so hard to feel so helpless. I think I’ve tried everything. Tough Love, Gentle Guidance, Bitching… wow, even threatening his friends… Which is really not my thing.

Just a few years back, this same brother TOTALLED (totally smashed) 2 cars in a span of 3 days. He said that THAT was his wake up call.

I’m really running out of things to do. Should I lock him in his room and throw away the key? Send him to a psychiatrist for a little medication to instill fear in him? Or just continue to pray hard and hope to high heavens his guardian angels work triple time in keeping him safe?

No matter how much you try to protect your family, there is just so much you can do. I just wish in time, they’ll grow up and when they do – they’re safe, healthy and whole. God knows how much I love my brothers. I hope they realize that they’re not just hurting themselves but those who love them too.

At least my youngest baby brother seemed to care about his safety after his near death experience. He’s been extra careful eversince. He was a sleeping passenger in his friend’s van when a BUS rammed into them. He flew out the window. My cousins woke me up at 5am to go to the Hospital and pay for the bill.
 
This wins, hands down, as the worst feeling in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment