Thursday, August 02, 2012

Life is Simple

Sometimes work can take a toll on you... but not if you find joy in little things and if you have a boss and a company who believes in leading a happy, fulfilling, and balanced life - if you’re lucky to find one. I’m one of the lucky few. I work 24-7 and don’t even realize it. 


I try to find mini-vacations after straight working days just to center and again, find myself. Its a never-ending cycle that keeps me calm, happy and most of all, balanced.  


A Farmer’s Life


After a long work weekend, I took a short 2-day trip to Nueva Ecija and Pangasinan, to study and document a day in the life of a farmer and catch a breath of fresh air at the same time. The rice paddies were so green. The fields were so wide. The air was so clean. The sky was so blue. Not a building in sight. Not a bus belching black smoke anywhere. Standing in the middle of the paddy, as far as my eyes can see, was the wind rippling thru 14-week old crops. Zen.  


The farmers were tanned, toned and smiling. Everyone seemed so damn happy!

Rice Paddy

More Rice Paddies


And more rice paddies


The City Mouse and the Country Mouse 


I always loved the story of the City Mouse and Country Mouse. Being born in the city, I always wondered if I was born in an alternate universe as the county girl - how would my life be? 


We stayed at a friend’s family home when we reached the Province of Pangasinan. It was a quaint, beautiful bungalow home surrounded by fresh vegetables and plants. They had really chubby mixed breed dogs that completed the homey ambiance. I noticed something different right away... I couldn’t tell what... Until it dawned on me, it was quiet and peaceful. 


One thing that really touched me on this trip was the family’s hospitality. The parents gave up their Master’s Bedroom for the 5 of us to sleep in. They slept on the floor of their son’s room. I’m not sure a city mouse like me would do that for strangers. Unbelievably and Whole-heartedly Filipino. 



Dragon Fruit


Papaya


Mangoes 

The Fresh versus The Fast 


The highlight of my trip, as always, was the food. Slow grilled Bangus and Tilapia wrapped in foil, Authentic Ilokano Pinakbet and the all-time favorite Adobo greeted us after a long car ride of different greasy Fast food. Everything was so fresh. Everything was succulent and good. The fish was so sweet. It tasted like it was just alive a few hours before. The Pinakbet was cooked perfectly. I didn’t even taste the usual bitterness of the Ampalaya. 


Breakfast was also a refreshing break from the usual canned food or the rushed early morning drive thru on the way to work. We were served fresh fried eggs and Crispy Bangus with newly harvested tomatoes soaked in vinegar and soy sauce. All on top of smoking Hot Garlic Rice. 



Tilapia


Bangus


Eggs


Grilled Bangus

Look for your own mini-vacations. It doesn’t have to mean traveling hours away. It can simply be enjoying a glass of Shiraz in the bath tub. 


Live a balanced Life. If you find the key to what makes you happy always go back to it. Find and complete your cycle. Everything else gets so much easier. Make life simple because it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment