Monday, January 25, 2016

Obsessed

Quoting Conor McGregor, "There is no talent here, this is hard work. This is an obsession.
Talent does not exist, we are all equals as human beings. You could be anyone if you put in the time.
You will reach the top, and that's that."

Strong words from a champ. Words that ring true in every aspect of life.
For the past 2 months I have been obsessed with JiuJitsu and the UAE JJ Philippine National Pros.
I decided last November that I was going to start 2016 with a bang.
That "bang" was to join the first Brazilian JiuJitsu competition of the year.
But I had to commit to train hard for it, until it became my obsession.

My natural walking weight is at 58 kilos. The competition only had 3 weight divisions: Under 55 kilos, Under 62 kilos and Under 70 kilos. I had to cut to -55 kilos which would mean 53 kilos actually to accommodate the Gi. So basically, I had to lose 5 kilos or 11 lbs to compete with lighter girls.
It was a tough decision. If I played at 58 kilos, there was a risk the girls at -62 kilos would be huge.
So I risked it and decided on losing those 11 pounds.

Wow. 2 weeks before the fight and I was still 3 kilos over weight.
I was slowly feeling the stress. It was so challenging to lose the last few kilos.
My PMS also decided to join the party and retain the gallons of water I'm supposed to cut.
Not to mention the insanity that goes with the cycle plus the lack of food, I was going bonkers.
The competition training was getting intense too.
Joints and muscles we're getting pushed to the limit.
We were training and sparring at dawn then again in the evening.
The night before the UAE JJ National Pros, I was barely in weight, clocking in at 54.5 with Gi.
So I couldn't eat or drink. It was a very tough experience.

I don't regret a single minute and I would do it all over again, and again and again.
Right before my fights, all my training, waking up at 5am, huffing and puffing on the cardio machines, crying while doing circuits kept flashing in front of my eyes.
I knew I was ready. All my hard work will pay off.
My obsession will became my reality.
Winning my first Gold was worth all the blood, sweat and tears.
Bagging the Silver at the Open Weight Division was the cherry on top.
Yes, talent does not exist, I believe that. Hard work will get you everywhere.
If you want something bad enough, make it your obsession.

To finish UFC Champion Conor McGregor's quote  - "I am not talented. I am Obsessed."









No comments:

Post a Comment